How to Apply for Grants
- Search for Grants That Fit Your Nonprofit Organization. The first obvious step in the grant application process is locating grants for which you want to apply.
- Review the Requirements for the Grant.
- Write a Tailored Application for Each Grant.
- Review the Application Requirements and Your Application, Then Submit.
What grants are available for nonprofit organizations?
If your non-profit is looking for new grant opportunities, here are six tried-and true places to find them:
- #1 – Your Board.
- #2 – Google.
- #3 – Local Grantmakers’ Organizations.
- #4 – Regional Foundation Directories.
- #5 – The Foundation Center Online.
- #6 – The Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance and Grants.gov.
How do you get grant money?
Common sources for grant include the following:
- Visit Grants.gov. This government site contains easily-searchable listings for a multitude of federal grants.
- Look for scholarships with the Department of Labor.
- Apply for individual fellowships and grants with specific agencies.
- Look beyond government sources of funding.
How do you fund a non profit?
- Individual and institutional donations. For a non-profit, bootstrapping is self-funding from donations and fund-raising.
- Loans from a bank or other financial institution.
- Personal loans from individuals, employees and board members.
- Government grants.
- Private endowments.
- Bartering services.